Sunday 26 June 2011

Hummingbird


Finished today (and only started yesterday), a very quick creative burst. since the arrival of the lovebirds a couple years ago, I have started to get real keen on little birds. And also have a new found love of the Hummingbird Bakery *dribbles*. Planning to do a series of paintings on birds. Unfortunately I have not ever seen a hummingbird, so this inspiration came from many bird books and the photos others have taken. However, I added a lot more colour to the bird than was supposed to be, most hummingbirds are quite dark in colour. Mixed media, but mainly acrylics (again, for me, wow) and indian ink detail on the top layer. The canvas background is not shown properly here, but since the death of my camera, a phone will have to do... the background is a beige-peach, with an underlayer of terracotta, which shows through in a few spots. The next bird canvases will hopefully be some more lovebirds, and some swallows (which I think are incredible) as we've seen similar around the area lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment